According to the Universities and Other Tertiary Instituitions Act, 2001.,
There shall be a Vice-Chancellor for each Public University who shall ?
(a) be responsible for the academic, administrative and financial affairs of the University; and
(b) in the absence of the Chancellor, preside at ceremonial assemblies of the University and confer degrees and other academic titles and distinctions of the University.
(2) The Vice Chancellor shall be appointed by the Chancellor on the recommendation of the University Council from among three candidates recommended by the Senate.
(3) A search committee composed of two members from the University Council and three members from the University Senate shall identify suitable candidates for the post of Vice Chancellor and forward them to the Senate to nominate three candidates for recommendation to the University Council.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed on terms and conditions determined by the University Council for five years and shall be eligible for re-appointment for one more term.
32. (1) Each Public University shall have not more than three Deputy Vice Chancellors who shall
be appointed by the Chancellor on the recommendation of the University Senate with the approval of the University Council.
(2) A Deputy Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a period of five years and shall be eligible for re-appointment for one more term.
(3) The First Deputy Vice-Chancellor shall ?
(a) assist the Vice-Chancellor in the performance of his or her functions and in that regard be responsible for the Academic affairs of the University;
(b) In the absence of the Vice-Chancellor perform the functions of Vice-Chancellor;
(c) perform such other functions that may be delegated to him or her by the Vice Chancellor or assigned by the University Council.
(4) The Second Deputy Vice-Chancellor shall ?
(a) Assist the Vice-Chancellor in the performance of his or her functions and in that regard shall oversee the Finances and administration of the University;
(b) Be responsible for the planning and development of the University;
(c) Perform such other functions that may be delegated to him or her by the Vice-Chancellor or assigned by the University Council.
“(3) The National Council shall ensure that the University Council for the
University established under subsection (1) is constituted within six months of establishing the University.”